Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
How to Talk to a Child About Adoption: Infancy to 6 Years
Saturday, October 20, 2012 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Pennington, United States
This workshop is for adoptive and pre-adoptive parents. Some adoption agencies will accept this workshop as credit toward the home study requirements (certificates will be issued).
In this workshop you will learn:
- How to create a safe, open family atmosphere in which adoption can be discussed
- How to lay a foundation for talking to young children about adoption
- A model for understanding what a child can understand about adoption at different ages and stages of development
- Communication tools including anticipating and answering questions and dealing with the more complex and difficult issues
- Open adoption and Transracial Adoptive Family issues
- Understanding which issues are really hard for children to deal with and which issues are harder for parents.
- Helpful resources and books for children and parents will be identified.
Workshop Facilitator: Joni Mantell, LCSW, IAC Center Counselor
When & Where
Many of our clients seek counseling and psycho-education to help them cope with the emotional, social and practical issues related to their infertility treatment, failed infertility treatment cycle, miscarriage or pregnancy loss. Others come to us to discuss family alternatives including additional infertility treatments, donor options, adoption, surrogacy or the child-free family. Wherever you are in your process, we’ll help you consider the short-term, long-term, emotional and relationship factors associated with each choice.